Monday, May 20, 2013

Kid-Friendly Food Monday - Easy Spanish Rice

One of my sons just loves rice, so I am always on the lookout for easy, tasty, versatile rice recipes to fill him up.  

This one is a favorite because you can control the amount of spiciness your kids prefer simply by changing the heat intensity of the salsa used.  I use mild to medium salsa, depending on what I have on hand.  But my kids are ok with a little heat.  Feel free to use whichever heat your kids will eat.

I usually serve this with Tacos or Bean & Cheese Burritos, and a side of fruit.

Food Spanish rice



Easy Spanish Rice
2 T. oil
¼ c. chopped onion (can used 1 T. dehydrated)
1 ½ c. uncooked white rice
2 c. chicken broth
1 c. chunky salsa

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Mix rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.  Fluff with a fork, season with salt and pepper as desired.  Serve.  6-8 servings.

Optional additional preparation:  Once it is prepared in the skillet, I often transfer it to a greased 2 qt. baking dish, top it with about 1/2 c. cheddar cheese and place it in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.

Adapted from Allrecipes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day!