Friday, August 10, 2012

Kid-Friendly Food - Bean & Cheese Burritos

Here is another one of my kids favorite meals - plain ol' Bean and Cheese Burritos.


The thing I like about this recipe, is that you can make it as healthy as you would like.  It is so simple, just rice, beans, salsa, cheese and tortillas. 

You want to do brown rice?  Go for it!  Whole wheat tortillas?  Sure!

You can even throw in some shredded chicken, if you want more protein.  And I sometimes use homemade refried beans.

It's a very flexible recipe.

And they freeze awesomely.  I always end up with about a half dozen that I freeze in a freezer bag, so I can pull them out later for lunch, or another quick dinner when it's just the kids and I.

And the fact that all my kids gobble these up?  Well, that's the thing I love about these burritos the most.


Bean and Cheese Burritos

1 (16 oz.) can refried beans (or 2 c. homemade)
1 c. cooked rice
1 c. salsa
2 ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
12 flour tortillas
Toppings (lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream, salsa, olives, etc.)


375° Combine the beans, rice, salsa and 1 ½ c. cheese in a bowl.  Scoop about 1/3 c. of bean mixture onto on half of a tortilla (I sprinkle a little extra cheese on top of the filling mixture at this point), fold in the ends and roll up.  Place seam side down in a large baking dish.  Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas.  Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of burritos.  Cover and bake for 20 minutes.  Serve with desired toppings.


(recipe adapted from Blog Chef)


Note: The kind of salsa you use will affect the flavor and heat of your burritos.  Use a salsa you really like.  Even though I serve these to my kids, I have found that I like a medium heat salsa the best.  With all the other ingredients to help absorb the heat, it is just the right amount of spiciness for us.  So experiment a little with salsas until you find the right brand/heat for your family!


Linking to:


Creations by Kara


1 comment:

  1. Pinning this recipe! I'm always on the lookout for quick, easy recipes, and this one looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day!