I finished the quilt for my twins Preschool fundraiser over the weekend.
I'll be honest, I'm not loving it.
(Although it does look cute rolled up.)
(And I actually love the backing and how the quilting looks from the back.)
But then I looked at this picture and everything that I had hoped would "come out in the wash" (literally and figuratively) didn't really. And not only that, but I noticed a huge, ugly mistake with my quilting that I didn't notice before seeing it in this photo.
Can you see it? It's pretty obvious.
(Hint: look at the right side.)
My friend had just finished a quilt with this same quilting on it, and I thought this quilt was small enough to
shamelessly copy do some similar quilting on it without a walking foot.
Well, it isn't!
(I mentioned before that I had ordered a walking foot with my machine back in December. For some reason, almost 5 months later, I still don't have it. It is supposedly on back order.)
You can see how some of the rows shifted during the quilting.
In general, I am a fan of more dense quilting, but I have been practicing my straight line skills lately, and this one seemed a good candidate to practice on since the fabrics had such a variety of patterns. I thought free motion quilting would compete with all that.
I actually like the quilting (I just sewed a straight 1/4 inch line on either side of all the horizontal seams), especially on the back. I just hate that it shifted and kindof puckered. And I probably would have picked it out and redone it if I weren't so limited on time to get it done. Oh, well.
I also did one of my best machine binding jobs I have ever done on this quilt. I think I am finally really getting the hang of machine binding, even though I still prefer to hand bind when I have the time.
So, see? It didn't turn out all bad. Let's just say this quilt won't ever land on my "Favorite Quilts" list.
I've also decided that I am kind of done with this pattern. I chose it because it is extremely simple and easy to do for a fast quilt, but it's also pretty boring. This is the second time I have used this "pattern" and I added the outer border this time. I actually like the first version I did of the quilt better. I think because it was more tone on tone fabrics with only one bolder print. That seems to work better for this pattern. For me, anyway.
Here are the stats:
I followed this tutorial
Fabric: A variety of Denyse Schmidt Sugar Creek from JoAnns
Quilting: Straight line along the seams, done by meStarted: January 2012
Finished: May 2012