Friday, January 6, 2012

The Process

I have had people ask me, when I make a quilt, how I decide on the pattern, fabric, etc.  So, since I am just starting the process of making a quilt and pillows for my own bed, I thought I would document the entire journey here.  Even if nobody really cares enough to read, it will still be a fun thing for me to do and keep for myself as a record. 

Now, a few things I should point out. 

First, I have three very young boys.  Twin three-year-old's and a one-year-old.  They keep me either a) too busy to do much sewing during the day, or b) are too mischievous for me to be able to leave any large part of the process out and about to work on as I please throughout the day without risking certain destruction.  Therefore, I mainly do my sewing at night after The Hooligans, as they are lovingly called in our house, are in bed. 

This is important for two reasons:

1- This quilt may take me a longer time to finish than it should.

2- Any pictures I take of the process are bound to be taken at night under terrible lighting and with a flash.  Besides the fact that I am by no means a professional photographer, nor do I pretend to be.

The second thing I should mention is that I may start another (or two or three) project during the time I am making my bed quilt.  Fortunately, I rarely leave projects unfinished.  I may put them on hold for a bit, but I always come back to them within a reasonable amount of time.  I just hate leaving things unfinished.  Why do I mention this?  Because, I plan on blogging about all my projects here so my posts may not be consistently about my MAIN project (which, while I may come up with a catchy title for it at some point, as for now will be known (boringly) as "The Bed Quilt.")

So there you have it.  I do have a goal to have this project done and on my bed by the end of the year.  That is being very generous, but I have quite a few other projects in the wings, and like I said, I may start a few of those in between the start and finish of The Bed Quilt.  Also, when I say "finished," I mean, quilt and any and all bed pillows to go with it. 

On your mark, get set, SEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day!